Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I miss my horse!

I haven't been to the barn in almost two weeks. I'm starting to have withdrawals, and so is the puppy dog. Every time someone puts on shoes or a jacket, she gets so excited, jumping up and running to the door. She was accustomed to getting out of the house at least every other day for almost an hour. I think she has cabin fever. If we don't get her out for at least a decent walk soon, she may just explode.

I'm starting to worry about Flash's hooves. They were too long before all this nonsense started, but I haven't been able to get ahold of my farrier since Snowmageddon. Now it's been another two weeks, and I still don't even have an appointment on the books. Last time her feet were too long (when I was between farriers) she ended up with a tendon injury after she was trimmed. It took several weeks of rest and cold-hosing for her leg to get better. I haven't seen her in so long, I have no idea how her legs are doing. I need to get to the barn soon.

I am so very lucky that there are people at the barn who are willing to help me out when I can't make it to clean Flash's stall. I know if anything happened to her, I would get a call, and I know she's in more than capable hands. I need to call and make sure I still have hay. And grain. I might have to organize Rachel-James-and-Dad restocking strategy.

These past few weeks have been crazy. I'm not very good at sitting back and letting someone else take care of everything, especially when I know exactly how hard it is. But a few good things came out of this situation. Shelby started falling sleep for James again, at least in the stroller. The Baby K'tan has been getting some use, too--James has been wearing Shelby forward-facing while folding laundry, vacuuming, and just walking around, and she's been loving it! And as hard as it was for me to not be able to pick her up, it made her bond with James stronger. There have even been times these past couple of days when she made out very clear she only wanted to be held by Daddy.

I have been picking her up again, even though I'm supposed to wait until I see the surgeon next week. I couldn't not pick her up anymore. So far, nothing bad has happened, so I think I'm in the clear. Now to work on getting to the barn...maybe this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment