Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Beco Butterfly 2 - Success!

Today, I tried my Beco Butterfly 2 carrier at the barn. Up until now, I'd been using my Baby K'Tan, which worked well when Shelby was smaller. Now, she's long enough that her legs get in my way when I'm pushing the wheelbarrow in and out of the stall. She also doesn't like the way she has to turn her head so far to see things when she's tummy to tummy with me, but she can't be forward-facing for stall cleaning.

I tried the Beco at home first. It's easy to get her in it, easy to put on, but tricky to move to my back. I had to practice a few times before I felt comfortable trying to do it at the barn, where soft surfaces are few and far between. With Shelby on my back instead of my front, stall cleaning went much faster and Shelby seemed more comfortable.

Flash got to play in the arena while Shelby and I took care of her stall. She hasn't been out in a while, so, of course, she acted a fool and ran around like a much younger mare, kicking up her heels and snorting. Shelby seemed to enjoy the show. She even let out a few giggles. Once the stall was done and the water tub filled, Shelby and I gave Miss Flash a (semi) thorough cleaning. Picking her hooves was tricky; Shelby seems a lot less comfortable when I'm bent forward at the waist, but I was able to hurry and get it done before she started complaining out loud. Because of that, I didn't bother brushing Flash's legs. I probably could if I kneeled instead of bending at the waist, but getting back up in a hurry (if necessary) with an extra 16.5 pounds on my back would be iffy. Flash was happy. Between rolling in the arena and the grooming, all of her itchy spots got taken care of before the blanket went back on.

Now, we just need to get Flash's hooves trimmed so I can start lunging her a couple times a week. Until then, we'll focus on reminding her of her ground manners. Can't have her trying to push me with her head when I'm wearing a baby.



No comments:

Post a Comment