Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring is Finally Here

Though it may not look like it, I've been grooming Flash every chance I get. Last week, the pile of fluff left on the barn aisle could've hidden a pony. This week, we're down to five or six bunches on the curry comb. Know what that means? Spring is here!

Flash's feet finally were trimmed and I've been longeing her. My plan was to longe for up to 10 minutes, alternating walk and trot, until she breaks a light sweat, then cool her at the walk around the entire arena. As she progresses, we'll add longer trot intervals, then short canter intervals, then longer canter intervals, then start basically at the beginning again with side reins.

Flash had a plan, too. Flash wanted to go very, very fast. And if that wasn't something I'd agree to? Flash didn't want to go at all.

I found myself reminding her quite loudly that she's 24.

I thought she'd appreciate a slow, easy, meandering path out of semi-retirement. I must've forgotten who I was working with.

Shelby was in my trusty Beco Butterfly II carrier, strapped to my back. She thought Flash's antics were hi-lar-i-ous. She laughed and laughed and laughed some more. Today, Flash finally agreed to (mostly) do what I say and stick to the walk and trot intervals. Shelby was bored.

Now that spring has sprung and Shelby and I are making it out to the barn on an almost daily basis, we'll be posting more often. And the next time the stars align to provide a day that Flash is clean and I'm halfway presentable AND the sun is out, I will have James take some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment