Thursday, August 30, 2012

She's Not a Toddler, She's a Horse!

I was going to take Shelby and Scarlet to the park after we finished at the barn. On our way out, Shelby seemed less interested in leaving than usual. Nobody else was there. I eyeballed the new round pen. I thought, maybe I'll just let them play in there for a while.

It looked like the dog could get out if she really wanted to, but it's a small enough area that I'd notice her escape attempt and most likely be able to call her back before she got too serious. Unless a cat passed by. I was willing to take my chances. So we all went in the round pen, I secured the gate behind us, and let Scarlet off the leash.

Here's the leash, Mom!

Shelby started exploring the sand. She loves things like soft dirt and pillows, things she can flop down on without getting hurt. I ran around with the dog for a few minutes to help her get the wiggles out.

Shelby let out a giggle. I turned to see what she was up to. She was in the middle of the round pen. With a huge grin on her face, she flopped down in the sand, rolled from her tummy to her back, then from her back to her tummy. I was looking at her like she might be crazy, trying to figure out where she got the idea to roll around in dirt. Then she stood up and made her horse noise! And it all made sense.


She's been watching Flash, and now she knows exactly what nice, soft footing is for.


No comments:

Post a Comment